Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SPAM a Licious!

While writing recipes for my book, a wicked thought of humor struck me. To 
insert a recipe for Spam. Something I've never cooked for my children, much 
less pondered inventive SPAM recipes to punk them with at the dinner table.


I wish I had thought of it then, when they were young. I would have very much 
enjoyed the looks of distress on their faces as they poked each other, whispering,
"Is Mom really,going to make us eat this stuff?" and other comments of 
horror back and forth.


All the while, continuing to tout the festival SPAMARAMA, a cook off that's in it's 30th somethings annual celebratory event, where we too could become brave 
proud Americans by the partaking of. A tribal right of passage that few lived
through unscathed by vexing gastronomical outpourings.

What would you do for the coveted top prize, SPAMAmerica?


Here's a wee bit of Wiki SPAM trivia, just for fun.


~Varieties of Spam include Spam Classic, Spam Hot & Spicy, Spam Less 
Sodium, Spam Lite, Spam Oven Roasted Turkey, Hickory Smoked, Spam 
with real Hormel Bacon, Spam with Cheese, Spam Black Pepper, Spam Garlic, 
and Spam Spread.[3] Availability of these varieties varies regionally. 
~Good grief, really? 


On average, 3.8 cans are consumed every second in the United States. 
~Unbelievable!


The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery 
meatwhich has made it part of pop culture and folklore. ~No kidding!


So here we go, An Open Call Challenge ~ Send me your SPAM dish with 
photo. The Best in Taste, Best in Show and Worst in Show will be 
published and credited to the winners here on my blog and in my book,
Gnom Gnom Gnom Good Eats From Mom's Kitchen©. 
Deadline November 1st 2011 


~Isa

No comments:

Post a Comment